SECO has received reports about individuals receiving fraudulent job confirmations and requests for interviews via letters, emails, social postings, phone calls, instant messages (including Whatsapp) and texts.
The fraudulent offers typically include the SECO logo, the name of an actual SECO executive/employee and a phone number. Potential applicants are encouraged to call in pursuit of job opportunities. Communications and other materials often solicit personal information or money.
If you receive unsolicited job or interview offers or are unsure if the offer you received is fraudulent, contact SECO via email@example.com. Please forward the email, phone number and any other documentation you received.
The following can indicate fraudulent behavior:
- An employment opportunity or request is sent to you before you apply for a job on careers.secoafrica.com. SECO does not send unsolicited requests, nor do we engage potential employees unless you have applied for a position directly on http://www.careers.secoafrica.com
- You are asked to enter information to apply for a SECO job on any other website or form (i.e. via a PDF form) other than http://www.careers.secoafrica.com Legitimate jobs are available only through http://www.careers.secoafrica.com
- The email you receive comes an address OTHER THAN [name]@alphakenya.com. Please review the full email address. Often scammers spoof emails, or make the visible name appear legitimate, to get recipients to open and respond to a solicitation.
- The email you receive comes a free email provider address such as @gmail, @yahoo, @outlook, @live, etc. The only official email addresses from SECO are [name]@alphakenya.com
- You are offered a payment prior to starting work.
- You are asked to pay a fee upon receipt of an offer letter. SECO would never ask a potential employee for payment.
- You are told you will be picked up by a SECO vehicle to attend the interview.
- You are asked to fill out a PDF application form, or provide copies of official travel documents such as passports visa and work permits, or scan copies of your education degrees prior to legitimate interviews. To apply for a SECO job, you must complete an online application through http://www.careers.secoafrica.com. Applications ARE NOT sent to the applicant.
The document or solicitations includes words and phrases that suggest urgency such as complete and send IMMEDIATELY, NOW, RIGHT AWAY, or suggest negative actions, such as the loss of the opportunity, will occur if that urgency is not met.
- Respond to unsolicited business propositions and/or offers of employment from people with whom you are unfamiliar.
- Disclose your personal or financial details to anyone you do not know.
- Send any money in association with a job application
- Engage in further communication with a suspicious sender.
For a list of all SECO vacancies, visit our careers page.